I know that right now, I am not alone in wanting this %$#!! winter to end already. I am so done with big ugly warm boots, huge sweaters, hats, scarves and endlessly looking for the match to those really warm wool mittens.
So here is some welcome relief: The first day of spring is in 26 days from today. Yippee!
But, technically it is still winter, so we made these Raspberry Almond Bars to keep warm. Just kidding. We just felt like a cake with berries and some type of streusel on top. That’s how we make desert here. We just make it up!
Unlike pumpkin pie, which is clearly an autumn dessert , or strawberry shortcake, most definitely summer. This wonderful, versatile little concoction works in any season.
Good thing because Spring is less than 4 weeks away.
- 2 cups all purpose GF flour, I like cup 4 cup
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 sticks butter (8 Tbsp), at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 12oz jar of raspberry preserves
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup almonds, smashed a bit
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 stick, (4 Tbsp) cold cubed butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, generously grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan.
- In large bowl with handheld or stand mixer, blend gf, almond flour and salt until mixed well.
- Add 2 cups of the cubed butter, mix 30 seconds or so, add egg and almond extract, mix another 30 seconds.
- Remove 1 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Press cake batter into baking pan, smooth over the top with spatula.
- Spread raspberry preserves over batter, scatter with thawed raspberries and lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl add broken up almonds, sliced almonds, sugars and remaining 1/2 cup cubed butter, mix slightly. Add the reserved cake batter, breaking up a bit with your hands. Don't overmix.
- Pop into the pre-heated oven and bake for 50-60 mins, covering loosely with foil 30 mins into baking time.
- Let cool slightly before trying to cut into squares.