Last week, I found myself out picking blueberries, in a field not less than 3 miles from my house. That field has been there the whole 22 years we have lived here, and I never even knew it existed before. How is that possible?
It’s so cute, you drive up, collect your little quart or pint container, we chose the larger quart ones of course. You take a leisurely stroll to a massive amount of blueberry bushes you can glimpse up in the distance, then eat/pick until you, and all your containers are bursting with beautiful fresh berries.
What led us there, was three days of rain and cold, in August no less, while on a week of vacation, with house guests from another country. We entertained all kinds of excursions, or more likely adventures, when that guest is your best friend, who lives in Canada, and you only see her a few times a year, there is always adventure.
Having eaten our fill of berries while picking, it was decided that baking them into something would be a better way to consume more. And more we had, we had each picked a quart, that is a heck of a lot of blueberries.
This Blueberry Almond Crumble barely made it out of the oven, before it was quickly gobbled up by everyone here. Good thing I know a place really close to home to pick some more. I am hoping that next time we go, rubber boots and slickers won’t be required.
- 2 cups all purpose GF flour, I like cup 4 cup
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, some cut in half
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup almonds, smashed a bit
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 stick, (4 Tbsp) cold cubed butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, generously grease a 9 x 9 square baking pan.
- In large bowl with handheld or stand mixer, blend gf flour, almond flour and salt until mixed well.
- Add 1 cups of butter, mix 30 seconds or so, add egg and vanilla extract, mix another 30 seconds or until just blended.
- Remove 1 cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Press remaining cake batter into baking pan, smooth over the top with spatula.
- Scatter the 2 cups of fresh blueberries over batter, add the lemon zest all over.
- In a medium bowl add broken up almonds, sliced almonds, sugars and remaining 1/2 cup cubed cold butter, mix slightly. Add the reserved cake batter, breaking up a bit with your hands. Don't overmix. Pour on top of the berries, redistribute to cover the top evenly.
- Pop into the pre-heated oven and bake for 50-60 mins, covering loosely with foil 30 mins into baking time if you find it is browning too quickly.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.