So, last month I shared with you that I was intimidated by the thought of making gluten-free pizza. Now, however, I am turning them out weekly. Why? What changed?
Well, I figured out that my goal wasn’t to try to make a gluten-free pizza that tastes exactly like regular pizza. It was to just make a really, really good gluten-free pizza. Thats it.
And it’s just a bonus for some of you that this pizza is Paleo and maybe Keto worthy as well, the crust is mainly almond flour, mozzarella cheese, an egg and some spices. Ingredients you may already have in your kitchen right now, I did.
I have to admit, there is nothing better than scratching this one off the list, while the kitchen smells so heavenly of pizza.
- 2 cups (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese, I used full fat
- 1/4 shredded parmesan cheese, you could also use grated
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp ground golden flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, or any other herbs you like
- Pizza sauce
- More mozzarella and any vegetables or meats you like.
- I used tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella, thinly sliced shallots, broccoli, tiny yellow grape tomatoes halved, and a sprinkle of finely shredded parmesan cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Add shredded mozzarella to micro-safe bowl and heat on 30 second intervals until cheese is just melted.
- Stir in the parmesan, almond flour, flax, cream cheese, egg and spices until well combined.
- Form into a ball.
- Line a pizza or sheet pan with parchment paper, place dough in middle, working with your hands flatten dough from middle to outer edges working your way around the dough in a circle.
- It takes a bit of time to get it really thin, your hands may stick to the dough initially, if so rub a bit of olive oil on them and continue to work the dough.
- Once you have the thickness you want, I worked it until it was as thin as I could achieve without any holes showing through to the parchment.
- Mine measured about 12 inches in diameter, perfect for two for dinner.
- Now slide into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip over, and bake for an additional 3-4 mins.
- Remove from oven, discard parchment paper, spray or lightly brush top of pizza with olive oil
- Flip over and add pizza sauce, cheese and any topping you want.
- Bake again for 3-5 mins, or until topping heated through and cheese melted.