I remember my first forays into gluten free baking, they always included xanthan gum. Most of the info on the web back then, in my new gf cookbooks, heck, even in the recipes on the side panel of the bagged gluten free flours included it.
I thought you couldn’t bake gluten free without it. Guess what? Sometimes you can! And, I am starting to think back to all those baked goods and breads that I made, could they have been better without the addition xanthan gum?
This Banana Bread with Lemon Sugar Glaze surely was. It is fabulously rich and moist, with a crispy exterior, and that extra punch of the Lemon Sugar Glaze, well that is just sheer perfection.
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp icing sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter, sugar and bananas together until smooth, add eggs blend until just mixed.
- Stir this into the flour mixture until blended.
- Pour into a large loaf pan, lined with parchment paper and bake for about 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is just firm.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then mix the sugar with the lemon juice and drizzle over the top while still a bit warm so the glaze melts into the loaf.